Saturday, October 07, 2006

Hello World

Greetings! And welcome to the inagural blog for the inagural meeting of Writing for Web, brought to you by the Porfolio Center, the lovely people at blogger, and me.

I'm Kendra, your instructor.

Apologies: Sorry I missed our first scheduled class. I was out of the country. But, we're going to make that up. In fact, let's use this as an opportunity to take a poll. In the comments, aside from saying hi, cast your vote for one of two things: "I'd like to make up class #1 in Studio Week" or..."I'd like to have a week where we meet twice." It's in your hands now.

Background: I was a PC student. Now, I'm a writer for this place during the day. I've worked a variety of other places too over the years, and one thing I wish they would have taught me more about at PC is how to write for other media. And how to interact with all the different people and programs and writing formats you will deal with out there beyond the school's doors. There is a world beyond headlines and taglines, visual solves and long-copy spreads. I promise. I also promise it's interesting and relevant and it'll help you look right good when you're out there peddling your book.

Assignment: Your first assignment is to do just what I've done here. Visit Blogger and sign up for your own blog. Even if you've already got one, get a new one just for this - one that doesn't already host your drunken ramblings about your estranged college boy/girlfriend. This new blog, we'll be using it throughout the course to comment on each other's work, do assignments, keep in touch, and just generally use this interweb thingy to its fullest potential.

To be continued Wednesday at 6. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Now...leave me a comment, so i know you've been here. (thanks)

12 Comments:

Blogger T-Bud said...

Hi,

I'm Theresa.

I vote for a class during studio week--although if there was a write-in line, I'd write, let's play it by ear and see what happens.

If you click on my name, you should get the blog I created for this class.

-T.

7:40 PM

 
Blogger Alena said...

Hey, Kendra...

I was really glad to hear that you are the one teaching the class! This is the link to my personal blog, but I'll start a new one tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, yeah! This will be fun.

***Alena

8:51 PM

 
Blogger Michael Johnson said...

See, you completely threw off my schedule yesterday. Spent half the night trying to re-do a skin for my blog.

Michael
http://pc-ma.blogspot.com/

11:51 AM

 
Blogger Craig M said...

Hi, this is Craig.

I'm voting for class twice in one week instead of during Studio Week.

Thanks.

12:06 PM

 
Blogger Witt said...

Hey Kendra.

I'm Witt.

I didn't get an e-mail from you, but MJ was kind enough to pass on the link.

Okay, for what it's worth, I vote for 2 classes in 1 week, but I could reallly go either way.

I'll shoot you a link when I get my new blog started!

Witt

12:20 PM

 
Blogger Alena said...

I forgot to vote:

I vote for two classes in one week.

2:47 PM

 
Blogger Roger said...

Hello, I'm Roger. I'd like two meetings during a week. Thanks.

I created a blog:
http://rogerw4w.blogspot.com/

See you Wednesday.

3:24 PM

 
Blogger Chicoskid said...

Greetings, this is Ken.

I never had anything cool for a blog
before.

Um... will that change, or am I just
going to be adding to 'net clutter?

4:28 PM

 
Blogger Bal des Ardents said...

I vote for two classes in one week. My first blog for this class was short and sweet just to test it out (I'm a little confused by this site, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.)

Anyway, I'll make a new blog entry shortly. This class is gonna be great!

-Barclay

11:35 PM

 
Blogger shaman said...

Yeah, sounds good. I don't mind either way on when to make up the class.

11:39 AM

 
Blogger shaman said...

Oh... I didn't leave my real name. Here 'tis. John F.

11:40 AM

 
Blogger leah_shea said...

hi kendra,

I have my blog set up now. look forward to this quarter!

also, I'd rather have class 2wice in 1 week, than studio week.

best,
leah.

4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home